PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - University Student Planning Career. Which airline to Become a pilot with?
Old 19th Apr 2008, 21:35
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Danger

The days of flying a 206 in the bush to get into the airlines are numbered!!
I disagree. Within a decade or so this pilot shortage will be done with and this will still be a valid- and more importantly for those of us who have been around a few years- and valued means of getting the required experience.

... and geeeez aren't you ladies going to be pissed off about these "kids' getting right hand seats with out spending time in the "bush"...
Given that I'm an ex cadet then no I won't be....but don't let your self righteousness stop you from your own delusions. What I'll be pissed off with will be a uni trained CPL/MPL holder who doesn't know enough about the industry to be able to contribute appropriately.

Elliot mate...You'll piss in a job over a standard CPL providing you can back up all those qualifications with a solid professional can do attitude and decent flying skills.
The evidence thus far is that the 'professional and can do attitude' is sadly lacking from shortyy. If shortyy isn't just on a fishing expedition then they have been sadly neglectful in either their uni studies, choice of course or just general research on the possible career pathways in their chosen career. Any newbie in an aviation degree that doesn't understand what GA is should be questioning whether they have what it takes to actually get into an airline. I can imagine the response they'll get from any airline- regional or otherwise- in the application process if they display the lack of forethought that shortyy has displayed. Whilst I acknowledge that at least shortyy was smart enough to ask the question- although my instincts given shortyy's lack of engagement on the thread is that they are trolling- the reality is that anyone who is 1-2 years into an aviation degree and doesn't yet know what GA is probably hasn't been that serious about aviation to this point.

Airlines want commitment and are looking for professional operators to act as part of a multi crew and structured environment,....
Exactly. Attitudes such as shortyy has exhibited so far are not compatible with that environment.

...your (sic) not going to be taking off overloaded on a dirt strip, on a 42C day. So be don't let people tell you that you need that experience and your less of a pilot because you don't have it.
Nor should you diminish the importance of some of those experiences and the importance that they play in an airline environment. Being faced with those kinds of situations and decisions and understanding your decision making processes and the background is an important skill.

Help the kid out and pull your heads in.
The 'kid' hasn't enough background knowledge and experience to provide anything other than 'have a good hard think about why you're doing this'. He or she has had far more assistance on this thread than the attitude deserves.

I can't stand this attitude in aviation! bag the newbie!
I left this until last because this is biggest crock of the lot. I've got to be honest and say that I've never come across this in aviation. I've found both as a newbie and now as someone who newbies tend to seek after information- should see my PM inbox for those seeking advice on QF- that newbies with an inquiring mind and the right attitude are served very well. What gets short shrift are those who profess to want a 'career' in aviation, who appear to be working towards that but in reality the attitude and level of interest don't include the possibility of anything other than a jet job in a few years. One of my bits of advice to newbies considering a career in aviation is that they had better be happy if that 'career' means flying the bank run from Wagga-Mildura and return four days a week because if they're not then they may be a significant amount of money out of pocket and very disappointed where the 'career' takes them.