PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hypothetical situaiton - Bird strike
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2008, 21:11
Spitoon

Clearly I've struck a nerve with some people. But I'll stand by what I've said - some of which appears to have been conveniently ignored.

I started by trying to provide a bit of elucidation on some of the points that had come up in the debate following Put1992's original question and a rider that he/she added regarding ATC. I made the point that after a birdstike during the approach, if the pilot is not having any difficulty handling the aircraft then ATC is not very interested. I've asked what just what you think ATC will do - without much response.

I've pointed out that in the UK every licensed aerodrome has to have procedures for managing the hazard presented by birds to aircraft using that aerodrome. ATC will usually play a major role in these procedures by monitoring bird activity on and around the aerodrome - and so are likely to be aware of flocks in the area. Being told about a solitary bird or two somewhere off the aerodrome is not going to change the way the hazard is managed.

The advice to land the aircraft and then stop on the runway simply because the aircraft has suffered a birdstike is not good. As I said 'Do that on a runway I'm controlling without a darn good reason and we'll be having words!'. By blocking the runway unnecessarily you present an unnecessary hazard to other users of the aerodrome.

On the other hand, tell me, or give me the slightest reason to think that you're having trouble with the aircraft or you're shaken up by the experience and you'll be met by plenty of people to help you.

Originally Posted by mad_jock
Spitoon could have as many words as he likes, in fact he could file for all I cared. But as any MOR filed against us will go past the desk of a CAA pilot I doudt very much we would hear anything about it. You pay enough for the landing fee it isn't to much to ask for a couple of firemen to help push it off the runway.
I love people who think that filing an MOR is the ultimate threat. And I'm glad to see that he/she believes that any MOR filed against 'us', and I guess that means GA, will be seen by a 'CAA pilot' and, presumably, quashed, again I must guess that's because pilots side with pilots. Fortunately neither supposition is correct.

Still, back to the question. I've tried to give a balanced view in response to comments and assumptions made in some posts. If you choose to believe something else so be it.

P.S. - All of the above is, of course, not necessarily true at an unlicensed aerodrome or where the air traffic service is something other than ATC. But I'm sure I don't need to tell you that...