PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2008, 19:14
airfoilmod

Mystified

I don't spend much time worrying about it, but note how baffling it is that there are those who post how irritated they are by other's posts. If one is annoyed, and insists on shutting a thread or that other's simply shut up, wouldn't it be easier for them to move along? Why would one wish to be irritated by other people? Seems somewhat immature.

Which brings me to this moment. I do not believe Websites have ANY obligation to allow full and free access to those they wish to exclude. This isn't a "Free Speech" environment; that would be the Public Square, which this venue is NOT. This is Private Property, and as such requires deference to, and respect for, the OWNER(S). I have believed that since the beginning of the Ether.

BA38. In 1988 (roughly) our company, with its progenitor, Boeing Aircraft, was looking at ETOPS. There were essentially two camps, as there are re: mandatory 60 year old retirement. Two crew Twin engine A/C were an assault on all who held dear the concept of "Four's enough, but not too many". Loss of the Flight Engineer was difficult as well. Many were very sceptical of two engines more than gliding distance from an Aerodrome.
As the BA38 issue unfolds, I continue to fully believe in ETOPS, though initially my faith was shaken. I continue to be confident because I think the incident was unrelated to ETOPS. A combination of reading, sifting through admittedly sparse Data, and Intuition tells me that. I am fascinated by the posts here, by those far smarter and more experienced than I, and I think to squelch vigorous and respectful debate would be a great Loss. As I have said, this post is now the property of the owner of this website, to do with or not whatever he/they may wish.

AFM