PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimums in singles
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2001, 13:02
JP5A

I flew last Saturday(26th)from Blackpool-Shoreham-Deauville.Shoreham had drifting fog and fortunately rnwy was clear when we got there with fog to the south.
Thick fog acroos channel and on contact with Deauville airfield closed because of 200'cloudbase.This is below minima for an IFR approach and as usual we diverted to Caen.I go often to Deauville and the weather is often very poor.Perhaps the fact that it is 500' above sea level doesn't help and the fact that the ILS is often U/S and air traffic unhelpful all/most of time.
Getting to the original question this part of france is often wet and scuddy (last week Lille was poor also)and you do need to be very current on instruments and have a suitably equipped aircraft.Plan alternates because you will need them and remember their landing aids are not as comprehensive as ours and frequently not working!!
BUT landing fees are brilliant.Whether the IMC rating is valid or not I think it is necessary to have this as a minimum(I have IR)due to channel weather which is often very hazy or foggy.