PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alpa Voted Out Of Usairways
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2008, 14:55
skyryder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is in someways a sad day. While I don't have a dog in this fight, I have in the past and probably will in the future. I will say this, "former" ALPA members will see what all the dues money went to pay for, and I suspect it will be a rude surprise. Who knows if they will allow them to reopen the award, I wouldn't think so, but you never know in front of a judge.
I do know that the legal fees will be expensive, and good luck collecting an assesment from those that are "happy" with the award. There is a lot of precedence that says if won't happen. The U.S. Air merger committee did everything but spit in the face of the arbitrator, given that even after being told not to focus on senoirity issues, their case did exactly that.
I also know that historically the U.S. Air MEC has been a bit of a wildcard. At a BOD meeting a few years ago they gave their word to vote for a certain canidate, only to change at the last minute.
I wonder if U.S. Air got a little of what they started with the way they treated the Piedmont and Empire mergers.
They next few years will be interesting to watch, I suspect the new union will tear itself apart, most of the time peace is much more difficult to win than the war to obtain it. I believe this may turn out to be one of those, be careful what you ask for......but hey I could be wrong.