PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ISLE OF MAN
Thread: ISLE OF MAN
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2008, 14:28
Anotherflapoperator

So much wisdom, spot on.

Yes, the laws of supply and demand would mean a major Loco would kill off Flybe's plans to expand and offer additional services. There growth also relies on EMX giving up on MAN and LPL long term, simply because only one carrier can actually make money from the overall demand.

Even WITH the very low starter prices, the morning flights are hardly full right now, this surely means that you can't fill the plains by giving the seats away = limited demand.

If EMX were to concentrate on LCY, to give the Businessman the timing and route they need, then leave the bulk carrying to Flybe, with the thin niche routes for Manx2, then the Manx population WILL get reasonable prices, reasonable frequency and a good deal all round.

A year of Easyjet or Ryanair and the Airport will have more tumbleweeds than aircraft... with nothing on the pan overnight. In winter, how about once to LGW per day- nothing midweek. MAN twice, LPL twice, and nothing more....is that what we all want to see?

The Runway extension is for enlarged safety zones, not declared distances. I'll have more runoff if I need to stop, but I won't get more weight available for takeoff, or landing. It won't give me more fuel to go further, or more weight to use. The same for a 738 or A319.

What it will do is allow the IOM Airport to comply with EU-OPS airfield regulations and not get either declared unsafe or have reduced limits imposed on it by Cologne.

If that were to happen, the odd charter to Spain, as we have now will stop and the biggest aircraft you'll see here will be a half full 146/RJ or the Q400. Even the Q400 will be close to limits in Summer.

The Airport is doing the right thing to protect what we have now, no more , no less. Peter Karran is being a bit daft on this, and needs to understand a few truths, but is this unusual for our politicians?