PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How did YOU cope with the skills test diversion?
Old 16th Mar 2002, 17:57
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was shown the "wind star" technique which Ausie Andy described - works fine for me.. .. .As for distances, someone mentioned the 10NM thumb. You'll probably also find you havea 60NM hand, from tip of little finger to tip of thumb, if you spread your fingers - but as with the 10NM thumb, check this on the ground before you use it! One of my instructors has a very neat solution for measuring distances. She's cut the scale off the bottom of an old 1/2-million chart, and sellotaped it onto a pencil. She clips the pencil to her knee-board, and uses it for writing as she's flying along. If she needs to measure anything, she's already got a "ruler" calibrated for her chart - you don't need to carry anything extra for this method, which makes it quite neat.. .. .A couple of people have already said to start your diversion from a known place, which is good. (My examiner made me fix my position using VORs, then gave me a diversion straight afterwards - I already knew my position from the VOR fix, which was nice!) I don't know how the examiners feel about this, but in real life it's extremely helpful to fly to a prominent line-feature, e.g. a motorway, then follow the line-feature. Especially useful in weather diversions, when poor vis or low-level clouds will restrict your forward visibility making it difficult to spot individual points for navigation.. .. .But most of all, don't stress about it - go up with your instructor, try each of the techniques, forget about any you don't like - and enjoy it!. .. .FFF. .---------