PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How did YOU cope with the skills test diversion?
Old 12th Mar 2002, 18:58
Aussie Andy
PPruNaholic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was shown a really simple shortcut for readily working out drift and GS without the need for any mental gymnastics:. .. .In a corner of your PLOG, draw a small diagram consisting of the 4 lines that cross over each other - one vertical, one horizontal, and two diagonal - to represent the cardinal points of the compass, and the ones in between, ie. N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW. [Simpler than it sounds - I wish I could add a diagram here!]. .. .Now, before you depart, work out drift and GS on your whiz-wheel for each of these points, and write this near each of the points of the diagram as appropriate. E.g. you might write "+9deg / 85kts" above North, and South (might) be say "-8 deg / 105 kts", etc. This only takes about 2 minutes to do.. .. .Having done this, when you come to doing a diversion, you just need to work out the TRACK (pencil, eyeball whatever) in the usual way, then just look down to the PLOG to see that drift you need to add or subtract for the direction concerned, and the GS to use for your EET calculations.. .. .If this doesn't make sense, mayeb I can clarify by email with a diagram.. .. .I don't use this every time I fly - but it sure helped me get through the skills test diversion last year - it went really well!. .. .Hope this helps,. .. .Andy