PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has the Metro had its Day in Oz?
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2008, 08:33
TopTup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spotlight...apologies. We're all a genius in hindsight and perhaps an over-reaction on my behalf. Just hate the have a dig before contributing issue on this web site and maybe took it out on you. Will remove my post.....

The Metro electrical system? It reflects is age and development. Understand it to troubleshoot it. Used to fly with a spare current limiter in the pilot's side pocket. That's why the 23 went to 400 amps (??) instead of the 325 amp current limiter....Never had to use it, luckily.

The trim? Had hassles once. It is a jack screw mechanism. The problem I had was a microswitch. Get up on a ladder when able and feel the stab and fin. Sturdy is not a word I would use. Then you'll hopefully appreciate why it's not a good idea to side slip a Metro (plus wing design, plus power available v power required behind the drag curve.....)

IT'S NOT THE MACHINE.

It is (in my opinion only) the no morals operators, the poor training (problem based learning at its best), the place it fills in GA (that includes the "airlines" in GA), the pressures placed on low time, low expereinced pilots (of which I was once one), and the lack of aggresive implemenation of the rules by the CASA that it is meant to so veremently stand for. I have been approached more than once to dob in a Metro operator. Fact. I refused to. On each occasion the request was met with the reply it deserved.

So, when these issues, in my opinion, are stacked up against "it" things need to change. That is why I question whether the Metro still has a place in today's environment.

And yes, it is a case of not solving the systemic issues. But when these systemic isssues run so deep it may be "easier" to remove one of the Swiss cheese slices than the other ones behind it. Will it happen? No. But hey, this is just a chat site to air some ideas and opinions.......

Last edited by TopTup; 19th Apr 2008 at 09:25.