PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where to begin from Darwin?
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2008, 00:00
Capt Claret

Bottums Up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nibbio86, where are you starting from?

I wouldn't think the accent would be an issue unless you find people have difficulty understanding what you are saying.

As you say you're from Europe and assuming that you're not familiar with the tropics I would strongly advise against the idea of living in a car. Dry season temperatures will be between 30 and 33 celsius and overnight temperatures will rarely be as low as 20. Even in a temperate climate, living in a car would not be any fun.

For your planned road trip consider that a VERY cheap car might not be VERY reliable. The climate can be very inhospitable, and there are vast distances between any signs of civilisation. As an example, Broome to Darwin takes 19 hours door to door, stopping only for fuel. Effectively the only 'towns' you pass through are: Broome, Fitzroy Crossing, Halls Creek, Turkey Creek, Kununurra, Timber Creek, Katherine, Pine Creek, Adelaide River, Darwin. I'd recommend a safe reliable car over a VERY cheap one. More than a few tourists have perished travelling in remote Australia.

As to where the best job opportunities are, sorry I can't help there. I've been out of that sphere of aviation for too, too long.

Good luck.