PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A very good military read
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2008, 22:12
alwayslookingup

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Recommendation 1 - The Dying Place, David A. Maurer, account of special ops in Laos by Long Range Recon Patrols (LURRPs) during the Vietnam War. A perfect holiday read, short and punchy, you will not want to put it down once you start.

Recommendation 2 - TROTTI, JOHN: Phantom over Vietnam - Autobiographical account of USMC pilot. Factual, detailed and a brilliant read

HOWEVER:-

Recommendation A1 - For the best read I've had in recent years try "My War Gone By, I Miss It So Much." Searing and heartrending account of Times journalist Anthony Lloyd's experiences in Bosnia, Chechenya, and heroin addiction. Enjoy!

Edited to add:

Ref Post 12, AA mentioned the most excellent A Rumour of War, autobiographical account of Phillip Caputo's time as a USMC 2nd Lt in 63/64, for which he quite rightly won a Pulitzer Prize. His follow up to that was the fictional "Indian Country", Vietnam vet returns from war, difficulty adjusting to life back home etc. Further on in his career is "Delcorso's Gallery," successful but very jaded commercial photographer takes on the establishment. All rollicking good reads.

Last edited by alwayslookingup; 18th Apr 2008 at 23:28.