PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Never do something stupid fast.
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2008, 21:43
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
frontlefthamster:

We , you and I can sort this out because your response is civil and polite.

In fact it will be to everyones benefit to sort this out and make it easy for everyone here to understand what my message was meant to be and why I feel the private pilot forum is just fine to discuss these issues.

So please allow me to respond to each part of your concerns.

Chuck,

My difficulty with this is that you made a very good point, but you illustrated it with a poor example.

Fair enough the example may seem to be poor because I related the story in to brief a manner for most here to really understand.......

......the main point that I was attempting to make was had I reacted in the manner all pilots are programmed to react when rejecting a take off is that to reduce power from take off power to zero power you move both throttles to idle at the same time in a twin engine aircraft......

When the throttle broke off it was still in my hand and therefore when the decision to reject was made habit and training would dictate that I would move both throttles to the idle position.......which would have resulted in one engine going from take off power to idle immediately and the one with no throttle attached to it would have still been at full power which would have resulted in immediate yaw into the dead engine with full power on the engine with no throttle control.

Taking that very short time to recognize that fact allowed me to shut down both engines together by using a combination of ignition off and idle cut off basically together.

Without knowing quite a lot more about the aircraft you were flying (means of powerplant control, the manner of the failure to the throttle, VMCG, etc), further critique is difficult, but the point remains that rejecting a takeoff without good cause is a regular killer.

With all due respect it would not really have made any difference what kind of engine it was, when you shut off ignition and fuel it quits and that was what I wanted those two engines to do.

I had good cause to reject that take off and I was also in a speed range that dictated to reject was the best course of action.

But lets have a look at what I would have had to deal with had I chosen to accelerate to flying speed and become airborne.

First you must remember I was not flying an Airbus where all I had to do was step on the icon on the PFD to control yaw and fly the airplane by the numbers for an engine out take off and climb.

The PBY has a time limit of four minutes at full power and considering the x/wind and the climb profile I would have had to contend with to get enough altitude to safely deal with how to shut down and feather an engine that had no throttle connected to it my decision to reject that take off was correct.

I think it's important to get that message across to some of those here who find this perhaps, in your words, beyond [their] ability to comprehend.

You have a valid point and by us continuing this discussion I'm betting there are not many here who are unable to understand the physics and the reason why the take off was rejected. Most here are pilots and most are smart enough to grasp basic airplane handling procedures and understand that doing things by rote without first trying to examine what is really happening can sometimes be a risky way to act.

Therefore I will once again suggest that had I acted by instinct and pulled both throttles back it would have been doing something stupid in that particular case.

I am also of the opinion that this should not be 'up for discussion'.

You may well be correct....but we are into it now and it's to late to wish I had not started this.

I would also agree this was the wrong forum to post that in. It might have gone down a lot better in Tech Log, or better still, why not join a proper grown up, but invitation-only, forum. PM me for details if you wish.

I do not quite know how to respond to this as I am not sure what a " grown up, by invitation only, forum " is.

No offence meant, but I need time to think about your offer .