PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DH Moth Club Charity Weekend
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2001, 17:57
FNG

Angry

Office, applying standard Jet Blast rules (perhaps here we should call them prop wash rules), you are not allowed to be rude to other ppruners unless you are aware of the correct and incorrect use of the apostrophe, which judging by your posting you are not.

The ban on spinning is, as far as I know, imposed by the UK regulator. I am well aware than an unstraked Tigger can spin and recover OK (after all, it can't read and doesn't know that it's not supposed to), and if you re-read my post you should see that. It was the RAF mucking about with weight and CG which led to the strakes being required. I recall hearing a rumour that CASA had stopped Oz-tigers aerobatting because one poorly maintained example had an airframe failure and crashed. You can certainly correct me on that one if you like.

TM: Thanks for your jolly post. I thought that Daniel Day Lewis was related to C Day Lewis, poet, rather than C Lewis, aviator, but maybe he is related to both, and Sagittarius Rising must be one of the best flying books ever written. Did you know that Cecil Lewis later helped found the BBC and won an Oscar for a screenplay of Pygmalion? Clearly a bloke of many talents.

There's a reasonable 1970s film called "Aces High" which is based partly on Sagittarius Rising and partly on "Journey's End" and has some decent SE5 flying sequences organised by Tony Bianchi the guy who (amongst other things) runs the museum you may have seen at Wycombe. There are a few SE5 replicas around: I saw one land at Popham a while back. I suppose that the Shuttleworth might have a real one but am not sure. I gather that there are one or two airworthy Bristol Fighters still around at Old Warden or elsewhere.

When are you starting the Tiger Moth course?

[This message has been edited by FNG (edited 12 June 2001).]