PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DH Moth Club Charity Weekend
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2001, 23:25
Tiger_ Moth

Wink

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a strake? Is it the thing where the tailwheel should be?
Well the ones at Cambridge are mainly yellow and it seems like they did lots of aerobatics and stuff in them. Do u mean in some you can do aeros but not spins or that you can do neither?
And I thought all Moths were ex military, just some got onto the civlian market a bit quicker than others ( apart from ones made just when the RAF changed to chipmunks which i suppose would not have had time to be put into military use)
And are you sure 20-30 min isnt enough for spins `n` aeros? At Booker it was only 15 minutes and they did a loop and a roll there, although i understand spinning requires more height. But shouldnt it only take a Moth about 6minutes to get to 3000 feet, which would be enough?
Hmmm... does anyone know the average climb rate of a Moth? I saw 636 feet/minute in a book but that could habve been for 1 person , not 2 and maybe it was maximum, not recommended. So what might the average rate of climb of a Moth be, with 2 people in it, at a reasonable power setting that would be alright for the engine/fuel consumption? 500 feet a minute?
woops, im spinning off the point again!

I like Tiger Moths.
Id REALLY love an Se5 in my own private strip, which i could fly whenever i wanted without any atc nonsense. Thatd be great.