PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hypothetical situaiton - Bird strike
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2008, 16:59
Spitoon

Nice to hear the guys at cov are willing to attempt to get rid of them.
You don't have to pick on Coventry - every licensed aerodrome in the UK is not just willing but is required to manage the hazard presented to aircraft by birds. And many do it very effectively and efficiently using a range of tools and techniques. One technique to deter quite a few species of bird is to broadcast recorded distress calls of the species concerned, this will cause them to leave the ground and, usually to circle overhead whilst trying to locate the threat. Firing shellcrackers will then be effective in dispersing the flock or, if necessary, shepherding them to an area where they will not present as much of a hazard. Doing bird hazard control well needs some skill - especially so as not to actually cause a greater hazard while trying to get them to move! Whilst many aerodrome's bird hazard control plans extend well beyond the aerodrome boundary, there is only a certain amount that can be done in the runway approach areas.

Shutdown engine and bring to a standstill on the runway
Do that on a runway I'm controlling without a darn good reason and we'll be having words!

Back to the original point - and I recognise that my earlier comments do not appear to have been welcomed greatly - but I'll offer just two thoughts. First, do you believe that a tower controller is not aware of the hazard that birds present and looking out for significant congregations? And secondly, just what do you think the controller will do with the information that you've had a birdstrike in that situation (unless you are formally declaring an emergency or the controller decides to institute some action because of what you say or the way you say it)?