PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2008, 14:56
nissangaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great thread

Quick intro
Hi I am 42 and currently doing my training for my PPL 18 hours so far and thanks to all your advice on this thread I have just nailed my first consistent good landings. Had some great ones then a bump then ok well you know what im getting at

Been reading this from page 1 for just over a month and the best bit of advise came off the page and made me think "thats where i have been going wrong". Wish my instructor had said it 6 hours ago when I first started doing circuits.

Can't remember who mentioned this but it goes something like this. A pilot should not LAND an aeroplane, you just configure the approach and hold off and it will land itself.

My problem was not with the configuration on final, I was getting that pretty consistently in all configurations, dont ask me why but as soon as I was above the numbers then it was throttle back 50ft 100ft 200ft It didnt matter, I was trying to LAND the aeroplane. Most of the time it went ok but I now realise that it was more luck than judgement. Hope I may have just sussed feel of landing.

I had the last lesson of the day on Tuesday gone and my instructor said if I can do that 3 times in a row then I will be going solo next lesson. Unfortunately due to weather, money, work, it looks like it could be next month.

Thanks for the great read, and the invaluable hints and tips, and it does make a difference to us fledglings to be able to find people thaat have been or are going through the same learning curve.

Once again thanks for the great thread. Kindest regards