PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hypothetical situaiton - Bird strike
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2008, 12:26
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hit what I believe was a falcon in a Cessna 210 over the Grand Canyon some years ago. I was in a steep descent at the time and I only saw the bird for a moment. It peeled the leading edge back to the wing spar. I didn't know what additional damage had been done, and slowed the aircraft, while proceeding to an airport about 30 miles away. Shortly after leveling, I experienced an unrelated gear problem. The only choice at a time like that is to do what you were doing before...continue flying the airplane. The bird strike has changed nothing.

Approaching to land in your Cessna 152; you're configured, stable, and ready to land...continue and land. Your day is probably going much better than the bird's.

I hit a bird in a 182 betweeen 10,000' and 12,000' in a very mountainous area one night. Halloween night, in fact. It was about midnight, and I really didn't expect to hit something up there. After checking the cockpit and .instruments, I shone a flashlight on the windscreen and saw it was covered in blood and a big mess. I landed shortly thereafter uneventfully. It was a little startling alone in the quiet of the night.

I hit something, presumably a large bird, in a Learjet one night, late, while descending through 10,000 approaching Las Vegas. I wasn't sure what the noise had been at first; it sounded somewhat like someone had taken a bat and struck the windscreen hard. I thought perhaps there had been a rupture somewhere in the pressure vessel, because again, I wasn't thinking birdstrike in the early, dark hours of the morning. It wasn't until I was able to see across the cockpit to the lights of Las Vegas when I realized that I couldn't see clearly out of the cockpit. The bird got the radome, crushed it, the damage continued up the copilot side of the windshield. I could see out my side, but not out the right.

I hit a mallard duck on my solo flight. It struck my landing gear. I felt bad; it was a beautiful bird. I believe someone at the flight school had it mounted.

Generally a bird strike while landing falls more along the lines of having a door pop open. A nuisance but often little more. Flying through a large flock of birds may be another matter, but that's usually something you can avoid by delaying landing or seeking another runway.

When I was spraying row crops, we'd kill hundreds of birds throughout the year. Every flight one would be stuffed in the intake to the automatic flagman, some would be wrapped around the spray booms, and once in a while one would make it past the prop and hit the blade cutter on the front of the windscreen (for cutting powerlines). Sometimes it would split in two, and pass along each side of the canopy, other times it would ride the blade to the top of the cockpit and hit the air intake. There it would explode and get blown down the back of my shirt, with feathers and guts flying around in the cockpit. The birds would sit down in the corn or wheat and not hear us coming, because we were very low. Sometimes an entire flock would rise out of the crop as we approached, striking all over the airplane. I called them popcorn birds back then, because that's the sound they made striking the airplane; like a kettle of popcorn popping away.

Distractions happen. Fly the airplane.