PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus vs Boeing
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2008, 09:58
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Control column - agree; it's sad that we never got to see a proper force-feedback sidestick with cross-cockpit linking. Boeing had the chance to do it properly and out-Airbus Airbus but blew it.

Gale-force air conditioning - agree; I end up taping over most of the vents on a long flight otherwise I feel like I've been sandpapering my face. There's a major blast of air from the gaps between the overhead panels as well.

Sun "shades" - agree; completely useless, too small and not dark enough. Luckily there are plenty of newspapers available.

Window handles - neutral; could live with either, don't open the window that much anyway.

Tiller - agree; the blasted things always seem to have some sort of bias one way or the other, so it won't a) go in a straight line without input leading to b) applying a steady force for the whole taxi, either on the tiller or the rudder pedals. This is mucho annoying on a long taxi out.

Uncomfortable seat - agree in spades; I think the designer of the Iron Maiden was teamed up with a concrete technician to make these. I've slept on floors that were more comfortable.

Seat rails - agree; another design triumph.

Flap limit speeds - disagree; They seem to be present, or do my eyes deceive me...?

MCP distant - sort of agree; the EICAS/COM/synoptic panel is a bit of a stretch from the LHS but think of the poor occupant of the RHS who can barely see the N1/EPR gauges as they're so far away.

EICAS - disagree; seems to work OK. Why do you need to check things constantly, have you not heard of Sudoku? How do you know if something is good or bad if there are no published limits for it and the systems are self-configuring? You have to be careful not to manufacture a "problem" where none really exists.

Trim - agree; what's the point of trim on a FBW aeroplane? Do you ever want to be out of trim? Answers on a postcard...

Overall there's plenty to complain about but I do get the feeling that I'm flying a very safe aircraft. I don't think the handling is enjoyable but it works and I can't think of anything better in a 40kt crosswind. It has thrust asymmetry and envelope protection but they don't get in your way during normal operations and can be overridden if you don't like what they're up to. A few mods to increase the comfort level at the front, some FF joysticks and we're ready to go. Here's to the 787 doing at least some of this...