PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do pilots need nerves of steel to land at disused airfields ?
Old 18th Apr 2008, 07:28
aviate1138

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mycroft said....

"There is a story about the first Mosquito, which along with several other prototypes was built at the deHavilland design sheds at Salisbury Hall (now the deHavilland Aviation Heritage Centre/Mosquito Aircraft Museum. Unfortunately the grass strip they had there was underutilized and was turned over for farming before the prototype was ready and they took off with a section of the runway already being plowed (other aircraft built there were removed by road."

Pedantic old Aviate says...

The other way round I think. The bomber [W4050] prototype was built and disassembled and trucked to Hatfield, surviving a bombing raid which wrecked an assembly line for Tiger Moths, I think.

Young Geoffrey DH Jr, having now flown W4050 then suggested flying the second [Fighter W4052] from Salisbury Hall [ by knocking down a hedge or two] and thereby saving much valuable time and effort. I think the field used now lies partly under the M25.
Pedant mode - Off

Last edited by aviate1138; 18th Apr 2008 at 07:31. Reason: Typo