PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hypothetical situaiton - Bird strike
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2008, 05:40
Spitoon

LH2, the original question came from Brirmingham (OK, I have assumed the UK one, maybe I'm wrong) and I have given an answer from the UK ATC perspective which is what Put1992 asked for.

In the UK, in my experience, ATC are not greatly interested in a single birdstrike on approach if the pilot has no problrems or concerns about the handling of the aircraft. ATC are generally alert to bird concentrations around the aerodrome and know where they tend to forrm - this will result in information being passed to the pilot when appropriate.

In the UK a birdstrike must be reported to the CAA (note, not ATC). The rules are in the Air Navigation Order 2005 Article 143 which says...
Mandatory reporting of birdstrikes
(1) Subject to the provisions of this article, the commander of an aircraft shall make a report to the CAA of any birdstrike occurrence which occurs whilst the aircraft is in flight within the United Kingdom.
(2) The report shall be made within such time, by such means and shall contain such information as may be prescribed and it shall be presented in such form as the CAA may in any particular case approve.
(3) Nothing in this article shall require a person to report any occurrence which he has reported under article 142 or which he has reason to believe has been or will be reported by another person to the CAA in accordance with that article.
(4) A person shall not make any report under this article if he knows or has reason to believe that the report is false in any particular.
(5) In this article “birdstrike occurrence” means an incident in flight in which the commander of an aircraft has reason to believe that the aircraft has been in collision with one or more than one bird.
In the UK we do not have many vultures.