PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Never do something stupid fast.
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2008, 19:58
LH2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Second-guessing someone's actions not having been there and with only a minimum of information is not a nice thing to do.

At any rate, something I was taught on my day job is that there are situations when the important thing to do is to make a decision. It does not have to be the best decision, but if freezing and doing nothing will get you killed, any decision you make can only improve the situation (it's not going to get you more dead than dead). In those circumstances, being able to say afterwards "I screwed up, I should have done this or that instead", is a truly wonderful thing. I know this might not be directly relevant here, but hopefully you get the idea.

Having said that, and without questioning in any way Chuck's decision, from my very meager experience I think that faced with a similar failure and for discussion purposes not taking into account any specifics as regards aircraft type, location, etc., if everything else looked normal and I was already near Vr I like to think I would have attempted a lift-off rather than cutting the engines, the reason being I wouldn't know if they are both going to cut off at roughly the same time. If they decide not to, then we're back to square one as regards asymmetric thrust--bad news, especially if below Vmcg.

Again, I'm not saying that's the right thing to do or questioning in any way anyone else's point of view, just sharing what I think my reaction would be, FWIW.

Last edited by LH2; 17th Apr 2008 at 20:00. Reason: typo