PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARDIFF
Thread: CARDIFF
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2008, 19:14
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not just CWL that has had a cutback by TOM for summer 2009. A glance at a number of other airport threads will show similar reductions there.

I cant believe that BRS is seen as the LH choice out of the two...didnt think it could fly direct with full loads?
As has been said, the outbound long haul B 767s from BRS have an en-route fuel stop.

However, BRS is pinning its long haul hopes on the B 787 (and no doubt the A 350 in due course). This is one of the reasons that airport sees no need to extend its runway, although environmental implicatons make such an initiative a near non-starter anyway.

As for the B 787 and BRS, I can do no better than quote part of that airport's master plan.

Detailed discussions between BIA (Bristol International Airport) and Boeing and with airlines that have placed orders for this aircraft (including Continental and First Choice) lead us to be confident about its ability to serve the long haul market from BIA. Information provided by Boeing would indicate that the aircraft would have the capability to serve destinations on the west coast of America and Cape Town, removing any effective constraint on the long haul market.

However, the master plan also says that there is only an identified demand for regular long haul scheduled services from BRS to New York, Washington, Dubai and another US destination such as Atlanta.

Other long haul routes would be charter services.

It would be interesting to know if the CWL management believes its long haul scheduled demand is similar, less or greater. I can find nothing to help me on this in the CWL master plan.