PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - William borrows a company Vehicle.....
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2008, 16:45
Jackonicko

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have no issue whatsoever with perks for those who have "completed advanced flying training", are "fully qualified on type" and who "had completed an OCU" and were "operational" on a squadron.

None at all.

HRH is none of those things.

And I'd suggest that someone who chooses to bugger off to a civvy party on the day he was awarded his wings, rather than celebrating with his course mates, and who takes advantage of his birth to get advantages that none of those mates could obtain (and who makes little effort to be discrete about enjoying such privileges) might himself be responsible for blunting morale, a tad.

I would never deny being envious of those who wear hard earned aircrew brevets. Those who earn them properly are worthy of great respect. It's a tough process, from which many good people are weeded out, so those left standing at the end are the best of the best.

Or are of Royal birth, in this case.

My own limited UAS flying dozens of years ago does not entitle me to wings, and nor should it. But my father and grandfather did earn them, and so have many of my friends, and I do resent anything that erodes the value of their achievements.

And I do wonder whether HRH even did enough to deserve the award of 'Budgie Wings'. If he did enough to earn a PFB, then that's what he should wear, and hat's off to him. If he didn't, then he shouldn't. Whether he did or did not do enough to warrant the award of a PFB, he plainly did not do enough to earn proper Wings, and in putting them up without having earned them, he devalues the badge.

It all smacks a bit of Field Marshal Amin, awarding himself rows and rows of medals which he hadn't earned, and in that respect, it's just like giving him an AFC or two, a Green beret and a Commando beret.

You can call them 'honourary', but I fail to see much that's honourable about wearing wings which you haven't earned.