PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH558 - Test flight today?????
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2008, 13:50
rodthesod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Symbol of Destruction'

What's wrong with that? One 100 megaton bomb that it was designed to deliver over MEDIUM range would probably have destroyed more than all the conventional bombs previously dropped put together. I don't think much of the Beeb these days, having to suffer BBC Prime scheduling, but I thought the article was pretty well balanced. The Vulcan was not designed for anything like the very long range Port Stanley raid and there were no current bombing crews by that time. Nevertheless they did hit the target as planned and denied the runway's use to the enemy - a fantastic operational and logistic achievement.
I joined the RAF hoping to fly TSR2 but it was cancelled by traitors during my training. I was prepared, and expected to have to fight for my country but maybe I was lucky there was just the 'cold' war in my time. I hated my time on the V-Force but the aircraft was superb and I am proud to have flown it and been part of the winning free-fall bombing crew when we 'waxed' the B52s of SAC. I'm grateful to all those who have in any way contributed to the restoration and hope to be there to see it fly one day.

rts