PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots claim airliners forced to fly with low fuel
Old 17th Apr 2008, 10:29
sunnybunny

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi

My first time post as newbie to the group and SLF to boot, so be gentle please.

Isn't it like putting fuel in a car ? ,apart from the car doesn't fall from the sky when empty obviously.

My point is that when i prepare for a car journey I decide how much fuel to put in and then a comfort factor. If I end up with some left over at the end of the journey then all well and good.

It doesn't matter because it goes toward the next journey.

So the next journey you have the comfort factor already there and if you need it (searching for a parking space?) then it's not a problem, just put it back in next time you fuel. And if I find a garage cheaper than anywhere else I fill up.

And so on until I decide to change the car and on it's final journey it's running on fumes.

Do accountants cost justify each trip? Is there no allowance for fuel already on board?

I appreciate to fill up has a cost impact in terms of fuel economy, and a full tank on an airliner is considerably more than a car so return on capital employed becomes a factor. But if the comfort factor is always in the tanks then the extra cost per flight is mimimal?