PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Transat's unscheduled stopover in Azores
Old 29th Aug 2001, 13:14
foxmoth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of points from previouse posts-
1. there seems to be no comment on the fact that after landing with NO fuel, there was a fuel leak on the runway. May have just been remnants, but having no details I am curious how much and where from.
2. As far as fuel pump failure goes, I won't say impossible, because history has shown that to be a silly statement to make, but the A330 has totally seperate main wing tanks only joined by the X feed valve and each tank has THREE fuel pumps (2 main + 1 sby). If the loss was only from one side I would have thought they could X feed from the good side, even if the engine on THAT side had been shut down (though you may be feeding it TO the leak in that case).
I would have thought looking at the situation the LIKELY cause has to come down to either the Xfeed or the fuel dump system, but of course this is STILL only speculation. If it WAS an uncontrolled fuel dump and they were unable to stop it by normal means they MAY have been able to sort it by the VERY drastic method of making the A/C totally electrically dead to reset the systems, but I am saying this with lots of time to think it over, and in the time available this may not have been thought of (or this may NOT have been the problem, OR they may have thought of it and rejected it for very good reasons), also it would take a brave man to try this under these conditions without having tried it before - maybe a good one for the next Sim session!