PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DHL/ATLAS/POLAR Connection?
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2008, 06:39
nitty-gritty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have to have contract language to file a grievance on it's violation. Our scope is pretty limited due to factors like a recently purchased company used against us - acquiring a number of our A/C and contracts from us during our first contract negotiations. Resulting in about 200 furloughs, let alone the post 9/11 Bush NMB mandates. The same company requesting relief from agreed upon struck work rules prior to our strike release by the NMB to fly a number of our other contracts and A/C (@5).

So we didn't really have a lot to work with and no one to turn to for support, our sister union or ALPA National. No one was willing to hold a sympathy strike for us like we held for the same sister company a few years later -- they would only monitor their loads and request relief to fly our A/C and contracts. Resulting in what we got.

As far as ACMI, we get paid if 1 kilo is on board or if 120,000 is on board on our long term contracts (2-5 years). Customer pays for the fuel. We probably will make out alright. At least weather the storm. On the recent DHL alliance, I cannot give the metrics for it since I don't know what it goes for per kilo. The loads have been pretty good for a start. Usually 45 to 70 tons towards asia (always weak with all our customers) and 110 to 120 east bound to the US so far. Can't say what they are selling it for vs cost.

As far as the cubic space, the -400 is more weight driven than bulk. It tends to max out weight wise vs bulk. I'm not up to speed on the cubic space on a 777, but have been told it bulks out less than a 747-200. I do agree the 777 will beat out the 747-200 in fuel burn to lift and range. As to the 747-800 and continued 747-400 ops, that remains to be seen. Freight has always had to be there versus the passenger realm where the middle manager might have to go vs the conference call instead.