PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using an RT Translator in France
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2002, 14:58
Beethoven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many people have asked for information on English-French aviation phrase books in the past.As someone who speaks 4 languages to different levels,all I can say is that I think it is VERY dangerous to attempt to communicate in a foreign language that you don't understand (in a flying situation) with ATC either with a phrase book or with a non-pilot translator.The controllers will not speak slowly enough and clearly enough,words will sound entirely different over the r/t,and atc are hardly likely to stick to phrases in the book..also numbers can cause GREAT problems and the danger inherent in misunderstanding numbers whilst flying is enormous...In my view,it is best to stick to english unless you yourself have a solid grasp of the language in everyday life.. . I am presently studying Mandarin and Arabic,and there is no way I would try to communicate with atc in either of these even though I am doing (just about) OK on the ground.. . I remember one incident in America when the controller told me to "taxi into position and hold" and for the life of me I thought she said "taxi to Bull**** Hill"..Luckily my American companion put me right before I could read it back.. .Ludwig