PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - California - where to fly?
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2002, 15:43
kieranwilliams

I haven't been for a while now but one time I had real fun was when I hired an aircraft from Palomar for ten days and then flew across south ca into arizona. Airfield Highlights were Tombstone (a strip in the desert - make sure you arrange someone to pick you up and drive you into town so you can see the OK corral), Cal Black (near Rainbow Canyon), Grand Canyon (where I was cleared to land number eight on finals) and Kingman on route 66. Flying highlights were Tucson where I was cleared for a low pass over the aircraft graveyard for some great pix, Monument Valley which is just amazing and Nogales, where we parked up and then walked over the border into Mexico. Have a great time whatever you do. I agree with earlier guys who suggested Catalina and Big Bear - they are great short trips for doing your checkouts. Another fun time I had in northern ca was doing aeros with Celia Aragon's school at Livermore and then going off on a wine country tour but it can get foggy/hazy sometimes up there. have a great time