PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Management (Split From T5 Thread)
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2008, 21:35
Capvermell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Five years ago you were right and I said so in BA surveys. Today I would quite seriously be more worried about a flight by BA than a flight by EZY or FR. Because I no longer know who is committed to excellence and who is not. I am no supporter of FR or the way they do things, but they do have an amazing reliability record, an amazingly cheap fare structure, and because they largely use small airports in Europe grateful for their business, the baggage handling (if you bother to use it on top of your gratis 10kg cabin allowance) always seems problem free apart from some mid-winter midnight bunfights coming back into BAA's Stansted on a bad weather day.
I have always historically felt Ryanair was worth it despite the erratic service (especially on the ground rather than in the air) because some of the fares were so absurdly cheap. Easyjet never seemed worth it because I only ever book with less than 6 weeks to go and they never have cheap fares that close to departure. Ryanair still have very cheap fares in their regular sale offers as long as you are not below 2 weeks to departure. In January they were even offering cheap fares as long as it was over 1 week to departure. Marrakech for just over £20 each return including taxes as long as you took no hold luggage!

The Easyjet brand is for me totally destroyed by their historically rigid fares structure of never having offers nearer departure and what used to be the total contempt of their cabin crew for anything approaching customer service. Also the fact that no customer service correspondence was ever replied to by Easyjet in Stelios days.

My short haul experiences of BA in recent times have mainly been through Gatwick with the GB franchise operation which used BA colours but was a whole lot better than BA. Sadly this is now subsumed in to Easyjet. I suppose many of the staff have transferred but I bet many of them leave in the longer run due to the "you are just a number" approach to staff at Easyjet compared to the warm family like approach of GB management.

I lost patience with Easyjet when no member of senior management ever responded to a single one of my emails at any time and they also lacked any imagination regarding fare structures for those who travel regulalry on their leisure routes but cannot book 6 or even 3 months ahead. If they have now changed well it is news for me because they destroyed the brand to a point where I would no longer ever travel with them. However that is clearly a very dangerous lesson for BA in the light of recent events.