PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing Fees - Value for Money ?.
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2008, 20:50
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you looked at the number of small airfields / strips in the area? OK, not 24, but it is a significant amount of choice. I agree that landing fees for VFR traffic at regional airfields should be about £10, but if it is not you do have a choice other than pay, pay, pay.
Unfortunately most of them are way too short for many types. I suppose one could run a C182 from most 400m strips but not everybody wants a C182. Some people like to fly proper planes with proper mission capability

If planning was suitably modified to enable ~ 800m full-planning strips to be set up, that would be something else. Then you would need a mogas STC for the engine...

Additionally, you're clearly ignorant of what goes on at NWI and your post is based purely on gossip and conjecture.
I've been running businesses for over 30 years and I know the basic principles, which never change. I go to Norwich and I see an army of staff, each one probably costing the airport some £40k total including employer's NIC (a fixed cost), 'security' offices (another fixed cost), loads of admin buildings (more fixed costs). Yet the 'security' argument is bogus because there is a bunch of flying schools / GA facilities that have easy access to airside, and anybody well connected will taxi / access via these. The fence is a joke - a child could climb over in seconds. It's all a pretence that something is being done. Then they confiscate your toothpaste on the way to the PA28 - it takes TWO security operatives to perform that complex task, and they enjoy every minute of it while looking really important, only to burst out in laughter the moment you start walking down the corridor.

From a mile away, you can see somebody has built up a nice empire there.

They forget the whole point of the place is to process planes and passengers. Instead they have emulated Gatwick/Heathrow, but they have maybe 1% of the traffic and 1% of the terrorist risk.

Whoever set up the ops at Norwich should be sent to some place like Cannes, to see how everything can be streamlined yet everything still gets x-rayed properly on the way out.

Do notice I am not moaning about pricing. However, at the price charged, the process should be very well organised.