PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any tips for the GFT?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2001, 17:17
Aussie Andy

Talking

Hi everyone!

I finally passed the Skills Test today!

In fact, today was a re-sit... last Friday I sailed through almost everything, including a fabulous cross-country and diversion that went "by the book"!

But, sadly, on the day I failed in the circuit. It was a combination of things I think... there was a cross-wind beyond my previous experience at about 40 to 50 degrees and 15kt gusting over 20kt I suppose. This was coupled with wind-shear on the approach at Wycombe that just didn't ease up all afternoon.

I was tired from having done the rest of the test, and over-reacting on the throttle on the approach (up 200 ft then down the other side in the sink due to shear, by which time it becomes apparent I have chopped too much power... doh...). The first one was not good - on the runway, but nowhere near the centre line, and not flared well. From that point on it was downhill as I just thought "Oh God, I've blown it" and with the examiner in the r.h. seat, just couldn't seem to settle down.

We gave up after 4 or so circuits, and I was told I had a partial fail. A circuit detail was prescribed.

I flew some on my own yesterday afternoon - it went beautifully of course. And this morning, before the test, did some more. Then did the re-sit, and to cut a long story short, passed... but would not say it was my usual standard.. I think the pressure had a big effect.

Anyway, thanks to everyone at BAFC, especially instructors such as Keith, and to everyone here for advice and encouragement!

Now its just a matter of sending off the paperwork and waiting for that lovely license!

Andy :-)