PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Management (Split From T5 Thread)
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2008, 17:52
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What you should be really worried about is having a CEO who thinks that the same peson can be in charge, organise, and be responsible for Ground Operations AND Flight operations. That is a disaster waiting to happen. They are different worlds and need different skills & knowledge. Every airline I've worked for who has put a Ground person in charge of Air Ops has been an unmitagted complete total catasrophe. That's the trouble when most Airlines (airborne services) employ ground people to be CEO's and expect them to understand how it is done. You don't employ a physio to be a football manager. I agree that not all footbalers make good managers, but find me a good manager who was not a footballer at some level.
OK, not all pilots make good CEO's, perhaps because they haven't had the complete bean counters' education, but in the back ground, and as chief advisor there should someone who knows about aeroplanes and what they need to make them tick. That, and the crews, engineers, ops staff etc and what makes them tick. Then you have a chance. Bean counters are interestd in short-term profit and share price. No long-term thinking. No experience.
Where's the Alex Ferguson of airline management? Success and longevity, plus a no B.S. attitude.