PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pardon the Loud Noise, Captain...
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2008, 15:45
VortexGen300

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bullets & Guns & Cockpits?

"EISH"

This is the word one will get used to when you get any error in anything down here in South Africa.

So many opinions - but if I may add mine, for what it is worth, if any?

- It sounds as if our pilot friends in the US have something that was imposed on them. No matter what we argue it has to be dealt with in the most professional way they can.

- My appreciation of the situation: What ever they have to do with these .40 cal hand guns they have to do as safe as possible.

- Yes there are multiple very sensitive pieces of equipment etc... in the cockpit but from my little knowledge of the layout of a cockpit and the pictures we were shown in this thread that is now trying to become "a threat to national security" it is clear that:

1. If the pilot was indeed handling the said fire arm for whatever reason he was supposed to according to reports we were given - he was pointing it in the direction of the part of the cockpit (from his assumed position in the aircraft) where it would affect no harm to any systems or equipment and definitely people in case of an accidental discharge. So what is the fuss? (Murphy: "If something can go wrong - it will". Me: "If something does go wrong - make sure the least amount of harm can result") Maybe the pilot listened to me???

- Before you want to crucify me - I am only stating and interpreting the facts as they were presented and I am not taking the responsibility for their factual correctness.

- I don't think I will appreciate being a Captain or First Officer at this time in the USA as I am not particular comfortable with guns in the cabin or cockpit - but I appreciate the differences in situations accross the world.

- I do however appreciate the facts and try to stay away from the emotions? (Very hard to not get emotional in Africa)

- But then again who cares about them if we can rant on and on about safe and unsafe guns?

- As for airport security and scrutiny of apron staff - maybe Europe is different but I understand the apprehension of pilots to accept that nothing can go through - although it is again just my opinion. There are too many examples of security missing small detail or not paying attention. There is no guarantee - no fail safe system anywhere in the world.

VG300