PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Position fixing from ATC during QXC - is it allowed?
Old 9th Mar 2002, 13:47
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beammeupscottie,. .. .I think just knowing that you can ask someone where you are if you need to, will mean you'll be just fine. I had a similar experience to you, but it was a few weeks after getting my PPL - I got lost in marginal vis, and was found 3 miles from Birmingham Airport. Everyone was extremely nice about it, but I was just terrified of it happening again. And stress when flying means your brain slows down, so you can't think clearly, so you get more stressed, so it affects your co-ordination and your feet stop working properly.... .. .I bought a GPS two weeks later. I was scared to do any more long trips without it. But I hardly ever used it. Just knowing I had it took off the pressure and so I was fine. And it sounds to me like FEAR of getting lost is your problem, rather than not being able to navigate.. .. .In my opinion the effects of stress and how to recognise them (preferably in advance) is something that isn't taught/discussed nearly enough in aviation, either before the PPL or after. Anyone else agree?