PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Don't fly on light twins advises Air Passenger Association!
Old 1st Sep 2001, 14:15
kala87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

The issue of enabling the public to make a rational choice regarding safety before getting inside a non-Performance A aircraft throws up a whole can of worms. The fact is, in any mode of transport, we take a lot on trust. Do we check out a car driver we haven't travelled with before getting in the car? Basic assumptions about rail travel safety in the UK have certainly come under a lot criticism in the past couple of years, so the issue isn't confined to aviation.

Do we carefully weigh up the safety pros and cons before getting on a train, getting on a cross-channel ferry, or come to that, accepting the judgement of a doctor? Most of us, most of the time, can't be bothered. We rely on the organisational "system" and professional judgement to protect us. I can't imagine a bunch of vacationers, eager to get to their resort or home again, wanting to be confronted with making a safety decision on whether to fly or not. Most people just want to get to their destination, and they trust "the system" to get them their safely.

Surely the accident to the C402 was a systems failure more than anything, as others have pointed out. In other words, established legal procedures regarding loading and pilot qualifications were openly flouted, if the information given is correct. Nothing new there!

Engine failures in twin piston aircraft are going to happen from time to time, which is why twin drivers spend much of the time on a multi-engined training course flying the beast on one engine, and proving during licence revalidations that they still can handle it when the elastic breaks. I don't have any C402 time, only Seneca and Duchess, which are probably less of a handfull than a 402 with an engine out. How would I make out with a real engine failure at 200 ft, and committed to go? I don't know. I just hope that the training kicks in, I've got a reasonably clear head that day, and that I don't muddle the drill. Bit then I don't have a cowboy operator breathing down my neck with my job on the line if I kick up a fuss about something...