PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Takeoffs
Thread: A320 Takeoffs
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2008, 10:47
aulglarse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris, thanks mate but I actually meant the oppposite.

In the performance section( FCOM 3.05.35 ), the approach climb scenario to achieve a positive gradient of 2.5% is with one engine out at CONFIG 2 or 3 with air conditioning on and set to HIGH.

For example ( from the manual ): a go-around conducted at 1000ft pressure altitude with CONF 2 and an OAT of 40 Celcius can be achieved at a weight of 79.9 tonnes! CONF 3 is at 78.7t.

Pretty impressive considering MTOW can be up to 77 tonnes and MLW up to 66 tonnes-weights may vary with serial numbers/operators.

The time when things may turn ugly is being very heavy with one inop(as Chris posted) and an immediate return to land is required.

A case may arise where a level-off may be required with gear down and CONF3 ( QRH 2.43 tabulates restrictions in this case).

There is no limitation with both engines operating to achieve landing climb GRADIENT of 3.2% (CONF FULL gear down) as with the above example considering that one engine can perform more than the MTOW in certain conditions at 2.5% gradient.

So a go-around with 2 engines operating has no weight restrictions in terms performance unless you got yourself into a very ugly situation.

CJ, you may get to go-around on line with 2 engines operating, you'll be pretty impressed with the rate-of-climb. I had 5400fpm at 64t the other day.

If you get the chance, take a look at the QRH 2.25 for the Overweight Landing procedure with reference for a g/around weights at CONF 3.

I hope this clears up my original post.