PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who's an AOPA member?
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2002, 04:45
chrisN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a few facts on the "Belgrano" (CAA?) attitude to GA and representation.. .. .A highly placed CAA official has said several times recently that they would like to see a single voice for "GA" - it would help to achieve things in negotiations. They are not seeking to divide and rule, on the contrary.. .. .They have spoken favourably of the recent Working Group on NPPL, which acted across traditional boudaries for a common cause.. .. .There is one existing all-GA grouping with a wide membership - the GAAC (see <a href="http://www.GAAC.co.uk" target="_blank">www.GAAC.co.uk</a> ). It acts, with the blessing of its member organisations, on airfield planning and related issues. It has no remit to act on a wider GA front.. .. .In the past, it has been difficult to obtain common agreement between typically the air sport enthusiasts who belong to BGA, BMAA, BPA, BHPA etc. and who all come under the airsport governing body the Royal Aero Club (RAeC), on the one hand (for records and awards purposes); and the non-sporting flying of AOPA members etc. on the other.. .. .I am at present working on a study for the GAAC on its future role. If you have views on what a cross-GA body could do, by all means let me know. (If I have too many replies, it may take me some time to respond! I already do voluntary committee work for my own Gliding Club, the BGA, the RAeC, the GAAC, and others so I am a bit busy.)