PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Don't fly on light twins advises Air Passenger Association!
Old 31st Aug 2001, 07:05
rick1128

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all I have about equal time between PT6's and Garrett 331. I have had 3 engine failures with the PT6 and none with the Garrett. All of them on take-off. So turboprops are not necessarily more reliable. After all they also have a large number of moving parts.

I flew 402B for a little bit. I remember them having only 300HP. And it is a Continental. Managed to servive over 1200 hours of communter flying in a Navajo without an engine failure. As we get older we get more careful.

As for a Cessna 337. It is basicly a Cessna 206 with two engines. The 206 flys much, much better. Also to my knowledge 337's have more engine failures than 206's.

Lets wait and see what the investigation brings out first.

I agree that the APA guy is full of it.

But there are too many operators out there that will totally kiss the clients rear end and screw over the pilot, when all he is trying to do is keep the client safe. To many people, mostly doctors, lawyers, rich business persons, seem to think that the rules do not apply to them. Even the laws of aerodynamics. On more than one occassion I have tossed my ID to the boss and started to walk out the door. And on each instance he has relented. One of these days he'll let me keep walking. If that happens, it'll be a job I don't miss too much. Cause you have to be alive to get another job.

About FAA oversight. All increased FAA oversight does is increase the workload on the good and legal operators. The illegal and/or poor operators always seem to get away with it.