PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Don't fly on light twins advises Air Passenger Association!
Old 29th Aug 2001, 22:13
aztruck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont think the accident report is in yet is it? General observation about GA twins concerns the number of fatal accidents after engine failures. its important to separate the failure itself from the subsequent loss of control that usually kills everyone.
lose you one engine in a single and you have a glider which can be controlled down to ground level and dead sticked. if you do it right then people walk away, if not and terrain/water/night/bad vis intervenes then you are equally stuffed. people still lose control and stall/spin in singles even with the engine working.
i shut an engine down in a 400 cessna between greenland and goose bay and the aircraft was a perfect lady and behaved just like the book said drifting down from 230 to 7000 feet, but then again we were only 2 people and a load of rubber suits!
I believe that the 402c has 325 hp engines, down from the 375 horses on the pressurised C421 model. the 402 is unpressurised.
Max tow 402c is 6850lbs or6300 for a 402b
Maxzfw 402c 6515lbs or 6165 for the 402b(which also has only 300hp engines)
fuel burn at take off approx 300lbs per hour and then 200 lbs in the cruise.
I echo the sentiments above. Operate within prudent limits and stay safe.
nasty business. very sad