PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAA Launch On-Line G Register Database
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2001, 13:01
dde0apb

Unfortunately for those who don't like G-INFO being online, the CAA has a legal obligation to make the register publicly available, and are obliged to make available all the information that they have put there. This information has always been in the public domain, it's just that the G-INFO extends the delivery mechanism for this data.

In my professional life (my flying is - sadly - not for profit ) I have done a considerable amount of work on the data protection act. An organisation does not have to ask a "data subject" for permission to disclose their data if they have an existing legal obligation to do so. The CAA did not therefore need to ask registered owners for permission to put up G-INFO. Arguably it would have been courteous!

Personally I would not worry about this generating large amounts of junk mail; your personal details are fully available elsewhere! Littlewoods for example buy copies of the electoral roll from Equifax ( www.equifax.co.uk ) or Experian ( www.experian.com ) and www.192.com lists everyone they can unless you tell them you don't want them to.

So while it might have been surprising to find G-INFO on line, there is little you can do about it, and IMHO it's unlikely to produce much, if any, junk mail. If you want to disguise your home address you could always get a PO Box number which will cost around GBP50 per year and get the post office to deliver your PO Box mail to your house. Then move the registered address of the plane to the PO Box No.

[This message has been edited by dde0apb (edited 15 May 2001).]