PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Don't fly on light twins advises Air Passenger Association!
Old 29th Aug 2001, 03:27
Epsom Hold 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps this should be in the Questions forum but since it's on the topic, could someone please explain what the advantage of two engines is on a light aircraft? Surely the only reason for two engines instead of one is to take-off/initial climb after an engine failure - but if the aircraft isn't required to do this to get it's CofA, what is the advantage of the second engine (especially considering the increased - doubled? - odds of a malfunction)? Everything I've learned about light twins makes me quite nervous about getting back in my mate's Aztec; although I was onboard when he revalidated his Aztec type-rating and this included chopping an engine to zero thrust [forgive the probably incorrect terminology] and I couldn't tell when the engine was cut. This was performed twice very shortly after leaving the ground and we completed the circuit normally and landed both times.

To summarise, Can a light twin at max t/off weight climb away if an engine fails at the point of liftoff or not, and if not, what is the advantage of the second engine?

Thanks.