PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Situational Awareness
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2002, 15:47
Final 3 Greens

Two points. .. .Firstly flying through gliding launch areas is not good airmanship.. .. .Secondly why is there an immediate assumption that this is due to GPS? Any tool is as good or bad as you make it and I felt that SAABboys post was very credible and worthy up to the time that it lumped the blame on this "new fangled" gadget, whereupon it lost some impact for me, as it was addressing a perceived symptom, not the underlying problem causing it.. .. .Flying thoughtlessly along a track line, be it GPS, VOR or chart/dead reckoning produced is not good airmanship.. .. .I use a Garmin GPS92 as a supplement to my traditionally created flight plan, as the "HSI" and "DME" substitute capability it offers are a very useful addition to safe flight.. .. .It does not take more than a second or two every couple of minutes to cross check the GPS against the DI and the chart and it adds clarity to my situational awareness. . .. .So long as one is aware how one's GPS flags up areas of poor signal or zero signal (the former has never occured in using the device since 1998), then I cannot see an argument against it.. .. .In conclusion, I would assert that it is not GPS that is to blame, but rather the navigation awareness/skill of pilots who fly through any areas which good airmanship would avoid.