PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH3431 B737 lightning strike?
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2008, 13:58
RobboJon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightning and composites

Interesting examination of what lightning will do to a composite aircraft in this AAIB investigation http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/cms_resou...pdf_500699.pdf of a lightning strike to a ASK-21 Glider from Dunstable. Interesting to note that a new CFI had reinforced the wearing of parachutes shortly before this incident.

Own experiences (both as SLF) include a strike in falling snow on final into Boston (Logan) in a BA 777. I was sitting in front of the wing next to the window and saw the reflection of the bolt striking the nose in the engine cowl. Apart from a loud popping noise, no other effect and a pleasant and informative explanation from the flight deck after landing.

By contrast, on an earlier flight departing the same airport in a fairly ancient BA 747 on a hot and hazy day at (I am guessing) 3-5,000ft a loud bang and a lurch to starboard (I wondered if an engine or the end of the starboard wing had departed) followed by about 15 seconds vibration and (apparently) laboured efforts to regain the climb. As I was seated in the middle of the cabin, I couldn't see what was going on at all. No announcements from the flight deck and - when pressed - the flight attendant informed me that the event had been caused by the air conditioning (at which point I decided he would not be my advisor of choice if any full blown emergency developed - or even if I wanted another gin & tonic). We flew to London with no explanation and there was considerable anxiety among the passengers - to the extent that on arrival at LHR the previously unknown to me lady on one side grasped my arm and said "made it". Seven hours or so of totally unnecessary tension that could have been resolved with a 10 second announcement. BA's attitude to its source of revenue did not endear the company to me that day!

My own inclination now is not to worry too much about lightning while traveling in the big silver birds - they seem robust enough to take most that is typically thrown at them (it's low on the list of potentially fatal risks compared with other - human and natural - ways of meeting your maker). Even the extreme LH experience that started this thread had a happy outcome, apart from an apparent disregard of the psychological well-being of its passengers that was reminiscent of my first BA lightning srike experience.

While flying around in the smaller stuff, steer well clear seems the only sensible maxim.