PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why does the MoD not care?
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2008, 11:50
S'land

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May a civilian may add a comment?

This lack of caring seems to be symptomatic of the general situation regarding what we feel about ourselves as a nation/union of nations.

When I was in primary school in the fifties I, like many, used to go to the Saturday morning pictures. Like many of the youngsters there I used to try and sneak out before the National Anthem. If one was caught doing this and reported to the school one could expect to be called before the morning assembly and publicly disgraced for not having pride in one's country.

We were also taught to have respect for our armed forces and what they had done and were doing for us. Most, if not all of the teachers had served in the armed forces, either in WWII or later in National Service. In all of my schools it was compulsory to attend the Armistice Memorial in November.

We used to celebrate Empire (later Commonwealth) Day. When we were taught history it included the achievements of the United Kingdom, both military and civil.

In short we were taught to have pride in our country and ourselves.

Today it seems that pride in country and one's self is forbidden. We no longer have discipline in schools, nor are the military allowed to be mentioned in many schools. Achievements from the past are forbidden subjects, unless it is to apologise for the events in our history. Education is meant to be “easy” with university degrees in bed selling seeming to be more important than the sciences.

This is not a cry for “the good old days”, there was a lot wrong with society when I was young, but some things were good. The pride that we felt at being British was one of them. It seems that our politicians lead the way in not caring and our populace follows. I am just glad that I left the country some years ago.

Boring Old F**rt mode off.