PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Why !
Thread: Why Why !
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2008, 10:25
VAFFPAX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been hacked, bless. While I don't have a fear of flying, I feel for you, because nothing's worse than that. Do you by any chance know what makes you fear flying? Is it the airport experience? Is it the "I am no longer in control of what happens to me" feeling?

I believe Virgin and other airlines have programmes that perhaps allow you to answer this kind of question... they take you through an entire course thing, and they let you book one. I can only guess that some bad flying experiences (like severe turbulence on your first flight, or a bad take-off or landing) make you fear such an unpleasant experience time and again.

Do you have a good friend who loves to fly, and who is happy to assist you in coping until you can cope on your own? Perhaps you two could do a trip together and take it step by step? I've found that I'm less stressed when I arrive with a LOT of time ahead, so that I can dawdle through check-in, security etc, and still have around 45 minutes before boarding. I'd avoid alcohol or any caffeine-based drinks (coffee, tea, Red Bull) to avoid being set on edge. I'm sure that an airline (but not budget airlines) would make some arrangements if you told them at check-in that you're a nervous flyer, who will possibly check on you often to see if you're still alright.

I hope you will be able to get a grip on your fear of flying, and will start enjoying that experience as much as all of us others do. Good luck!

:-)

S.