PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackpool 3/2/07
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2008, 23:24
Rightbase

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sincere condolences to Mr Walker.

I am selfishly concerned to learn how I can prevent such a tragic end to one of my flights.

Landing count currency per se does not seem to be an explicit issue on this occasion.
Weight and balance did not directly contribute.
Fuel planning does seem to be contributory.
Met awareness does.
Get-home-itis does.
Cockpit drill does (altimeter setting)
Reliance on P2 and GPS for Nav does.

So confronted with low cloud base, no fuel for an alternate with better weather, neither nav kit nor rating for IMC, and P2+GPS not performing, is there an RVA service available? Having flown one as part of the instrument hours in my PPL course, it would be my ultimate safety net. I need a compass, a gyro and an altimeter setting. And whilst they are currently unlicensed, I need to keep my PPL instrument skills current.

I thank pprune for an opportunity to think this all through in the safety of my home.

But I have read through a lot of extraneous 'who is to blame?' stuff. We are all human, we all make mistakes. Working out whose mistake was the one that matters, or what the legal situation is, is fascinating but for me, much less important. We don't need to work out whose fault it was if we can avoid an accident.

My PPL course also told me about skill, knowledge, wisdom, judgement and experience. Looking at what went wrong is not just hindsight, it is potential foresight. Speculating about what could have gone wrong (but didn't, or might not have) is also potential foresight. These second hand real and imagined experiences are where I get most value from pprune.

And where, sadly, we are looking at a fatal accident, the sincerity of our condolences is demonstrated by a determination to do everything possible to prevent the same thing happening again. Working out who is to blame for what doesn't help.