PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Forces Day - Fantastic!
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2008, 16:37
Spanish Waltzer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from bbc website;
Writing in the Telegraph last month, Defence Secretary Des Browne said many people in Britain, especially the younger generations, were unaware what the forces actually do or how brave and dedicated they were.

He added that while it was unclear how the relationship between the public and the armed forces should be consolidated, there was a need for "some mechanism to help strengthen the bond".
Ive got an idea. How about the uk military take over somewhere like...oh I dont know maybe Earls Court in London for a few days each year and put on a fantastic show combining some of the greatest military musicians with some action displays and maybe even a little competition between different units...maybe something like a traditional race of a gun over some walls and accross a ravine using a few bits of rope and genuine brute strength and determination. Then outside the arena all the different mil units could set up display stands to show the general public at first hand what they get up to in their real jobs and the general public could get to talk openly and frankly with real soldiers about what life is like. You never know it could even be a fantastic recruiting forum. Then all they would have to do is get some royal support - I'm sure Wills & Harry would be up for it and then it could be called.....maybe something like the Royal Competition...no maybe the regal tattoo....no I've got it how about....THE ROYAL TOURNAMENT.

Now I know you sceptics out there will say the reason such an event could never happen now is that there is no longer the manpower available to stage such a show. Well maybe you're right but I remember as a kid going to it and it was the best recruiting event possible and as I remember it the soldiers, sailors and airmen on those stands didn't feel being there was a chore or an additional duty away from their families. No they were proud to be able to show themselves off to the general public.....ok and maybe chat up the odd passing young beauty....

I remember one year there was a fantastic demonstration of what appeared to be a type of dance performed by the Spanish Royal Guard.....and I never looked back....

Last edited by Spanish Waltzer; 13th Apr 2008 at 16:41. Reason: typo