PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 13th Apr 2008, 16:13
JFZ90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JFZ 90. With all due respect, if you are not careful you are going to disappear up your own jet pipe on this one.

As I read the Mick Smith report, the bottom line is that QinetiQ declared the Nimrod fuel system "Tolerable but not ALARP"; and that is Not Safe. QED

Any one who tries to claim that it is safe is misleading aircrews and the general public.

DV
Having had a quick look at some of the key facts in the QQ report, it seems blindingly obvious to any reader that they state that the "operation of the fuel system is tolerably safe given the mitigation currently in place".

You can argue about what "tolerably safe" means, but even to an uneducated reader its fairly obvious this patently does not mean "unsafe" as I think you are trying to imply.

Further, in the recommendations, QinetiQ state that the given lims and mtn activities in place "mitigate the fuel system risks to acceptable levels". "Acceptable" is not a word QinetiQ/Boscombe are prone to using lightly and if there was any reason to say the aircraft was not safe they would absolutely not hesitate to say so.

It is hard for me to see how Mick has concluded that Des B misled anyone in his statement based on whats in the QQ report - on the contrary I now see his article as misleading in itself, based as it is on twisting & exaggerating the significance of some statements relating to ALARP.