PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2008, 16:12
Green-dot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wing tank fuel.

Posted by CONF iture:
Do you think the following selected area depicts also a frozen surface, which would show in the same time where the fuel extends outboard …?
Yes, i believe that is also fuel induced frost.

Now, is the total frozen area large enough to confirm an actual fuel volume of 6500 liters each side ?
I will do some calculations using scale drawings of the fuel tanks.

At first glance, using a B777 front plan view and drawing a horizontal line between the bottom of the wing tanks just outside the left and right pylons with the line disecting the wing tank/CWT rib, the fuel column measured from the bottom skin up reaches two-thirds to the top of the wing tank/CWT rib (i.e. top wing skin). Only one-third of total wing thickness at the rib (from fuel level to upper wing surface) is filled with air.

I could place the drawing here, if I only knew how. Apparently i do not have an attachment option, which according to PPRuNe FAQ i should have.

Should not be too difficult to calculate fuel contents (taking the dihedral of the wing bottom surface into account) if exact dimensions of wing thickness at the ref. rib, chord of the rib between front and rear spar, and distance from rib to just outboard of the pylons are known.

Green-dot